sauron: keeping an eye on what's going on






I'm a fairly busy person, and need to keep track of a lot of things. That
includes following a bunch of internal IRC channels, attending meetings, meeting
deadlines and so on. But I don't want to stare at my org-mode calendar, or
flip through ERC buffers all the time.



Instead, I'd like to have one little emacs frame (window) that gathers these
('events'), and transfers me to wherever the event came from when I click it - some
IRC-channel in ERC, my org-calendar etc. and other inputs. Note, using
Bitlbee, you can include Facebook-contacts, GoogleTalk-buddies and
Twitter-tweets, … in ERC - so, you can track just about anything.



In addition, with so many inputs, I'd also like the possibility to filter out unwanted
events, and generate various light/sound effects and fireworks, proportional
to the priority of the event.



For all this, I wrote a little emacs-tool called Sauron that does just
that. M-x sauron-start pops up a frame that receives events, and M-x sauron-stop hides it and stops listening. It works with ERC, org, and
listens for D-Bus messages; so it's pretty easy to get events from all over
the place.



It's a bit of a balancing act to get all the important information while not
being swamped in noise, but Sauron allows you to fine-tune it to whatever
works the best for you. I've tried to have sane defaults though, so things
should mostly work without too much configuration - but if you need the power,
it's there. I also added some convenience functions to make it easy to get
sounds and other special effects.






So - it's brand new, it is of seems-to-work-for-me-quality, and I'd like to
invite others to try it out, hack it, give feedback, add new back-ends and so
on – what better Christmas present to ask for!



There's documentation, examples etc. to be found in Sauron's github repository.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Popular Posts